Luxurious boats and barges date back to the ancient Egyptians and Romans, but the concept of the luxury yacht is one that really began in the 20th century. One of the very first was the 111-foot Jemima F. III, built by Charles Henry Fletcher in 1908.
The idea caught on, and soon wealthy men and women around the world were having large yachts built for their personal pleasure. There is no standard definition of such a vessel. Some put it down to size, while others, who possibly also dream of winning big with online Blackjack NZ, take the whole package into account. These are the top 5 classic yachts built thus far.
El Mahroussa, one of the oldest classic yachts, is still in use. Considering she was at the opening of Egypt’s Suez Canal in 1869.
The yacht was built for Khedive Ismail, one of the country’s Ottoman governors. In 1872, she was rebuilt. Further rebuilding took place in 1905 and in 1950. The now-presidential yacht is berthed in Alexandria, and is cared for by the Egyptian Navy.
Built in 1931 for American heiress Emily Roebling Cadwalader, the Savrona was sold to the Turkish state as the presidential yacht of Kemal Ataturk in 1937. It was renamed Gunes Dil and used as a navy ship after his death.
Kahraman Sadikoglu obtained a 50-year lease on her in 1989, after which she was refurbished at a cost of US$35 million. Diesel engines replaced the steam turbines, and a 16 metre-long, 300-tonne marble Turkish bath was added.
Known initially as Atlantis, Prince Abdulaziz, and Al Salamah, the classic yacht now named Issham Al Baher is said to have been a gift from Greek shipping tycoon Stavros Niarchos to King Fahd of Saudi Arabia.
The vessel has remained in the Saudi royal family ever since, passing from one owner to another, but, in all likelihood, is still funded by the state.
Originally launched in 1943, as the HMCS Stormont, the vessel now named Christina O was first used as an escort frigate during World War II. After the war, she was purchased by Aristotle Onassis, who had her refurbished, and renamed her Christina, in 1954.
In 1978, she was renamed the Argo when Onassis’ daughter gave her to the Greek state as the presidential yacht. In 1998, she was purchased by a Greek ship owner, and renamed Christina O. In 2001, she was rebuilt, although many original features such as the swimming pool, were retained.
Launched in 1931 and originally named Hussar II by stockbroker Edward F Hutton and his wife, heiress Marjorie Merriweather Post. Marjorie received the yacht when the couple divorced, and renamed her Sea Cloud.
The vessel was used as a US Coast Guard patrol vessel during World War II, and, in 1955, was sold to Dominican Republic dictator Rafael Trujillo. He renamed her Angelita. She was later purchased by Clifford Barbour, and renamed Antarna. In 1978, German owners bought her, had her rebuilt, and renamed her Sea Cloud.